Author Topic: Out in force......  (Read 1293 times)

favie

• There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.
Out in force......
« on: March 12, 2012, 20:23:25 PM »
........they little green hairy things!!! Have you seen any? Mind be careful if you do :o

http://mallorcaphotoblog.com/2011/03/08/the-processionary-caterpillar/

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Re: Out in force......
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 20:48:24 PM »
OH NO!!  We had them in a fir tree close to the apartment a few years ago. We were there long enough to watch the nest get bigger and bigger and then all the caterpillars munch away at the fir tree. Horrid things!  >:(
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

andrew711

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 20:51:21 PM »
More like brown, hairy things, Favie. All over the place, many of them squashed. You can tell the pine trees that have them by the greyish nests like coconut shells that hang normally from higher branches. Bad news for animals if they happen to try and eat them, which happens. In the past, local police have gone around shooting the nests out of trees and then slinging them in rubbish containers. Haven't seen this happening this year. No money probably, and there wasn't for tree-spraying either. If you touch one or one falls on you, which is not unknown (or more likely a whole train of them), they can give, as Klaus points out in his Photo blog post, a bad reaction. Nasty.

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 21:34:20 PM »
Oh no - Yek! Red beetles now brown furry things - whatever next!  >:(
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 22:02:09 PM »
If someone has a tree with a nest in, I wonder if they could apply for a firearm for self defence purposes!?  ::)

My Flickr Photos

favie

• There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »
Lol Andrew.....I need to go to specsavers.  They do sound pesky little things but with temperatures climbing they should be gone soon.....well out of sight anyway!! Amazes me how they march in procession....only ever seen ants do this.

To think I used to have a pet caterpiller that I kept in a shoe box as I tiny child! :o Well for about two days 'til i got bored with it! ;D

PS Bella, in answer to your question....NO .   ;D ;D ;D

andrew711

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
If you've ever seen those plastic bags hanging off trees and shrubs in wooded areas, they are there to try and catch the moths and so prevent the caterpillars. Only works up to a point of course.

I remember a few years ago writing about how Mallorcans hate pine trees (the idea that they did wasn't mine, but it was an interesting subject for an article). One reason was the caterpillars, and among others was pine pollen, and we are now in the pollen season. Mind you, pines aren't the main offenders; nettle plants are the worst and spread the most allergens. Everything gets covered in a greeny-yellow powder now and it needs a good shower or several to shift it.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
Thank you Andrew!!  I have always wondered about the plastic bags with the black bit on the top! I'm sure I have asked local friends and they have given me their opinions and probably the right answers, but in a "local" way, so I never really got a proper translation. All is very clear now to me and probably to many people who will read your answer!  ;D 
Totally agree about the pollen though - boy  does that make a mess of the cars and any terraces open to any type of breeze!  Constantly using wet rags to wipe down handrails etc. Then when it rains, it all turns to revolting yellow mud and the cleaning starts all over again!!   ::)

My Flickr Photos