Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 1461 times)

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Moderation in all things, especially in moderation
Tipping
« on: April 06, 2012, 15:43:06 PM »
In the new edition of TOTN - on line now guys - Bonyslad brings up the subject of tipping.  This always has controversial discussions and thoughts.  I feel the idea of tipping has well and truely got lost along the years.  We are now expected to supplement wages with our tips, rather than tip for extra good service.  We tip when service is bad for goodness sake - out of some sort of guilt! How on earth does that work!  If the food is good but the service bad, do we say - This tip is for the chef only? Of course not.  It used to  be 10% was acceptable, now its 12 1/2%.  Do you give 12 1/2% on top of €1.50 for your tapas experience? Personally I would probably give more for the experience rather than the actual food perhaps.  How much extra if any do you put down for a cup of cafe con leche?  More if you are a regular, or less because you return so often?  Its a mine field if you start thinking about it too much. Perhaps we should just stick to the basics again, like it - tip, upset - dont!  Ha! You're a stronger person than I am if you manage that!  :-\
After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done!

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
Re: Tipping
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 16:59:36 PM »
I have to agree with you totally Bella. Personally I just hate tipping and feel that it has seen it's day. No I'm not tight I just expect to receive what it says on the tin and that should be enough!  ::)

I really do think tipping should not be necessary in this day and age. A service is a service, a meal is a meal as is a coffee a coffee or taxi ride a taxi ride! All have their price and should be inclusive. Yes I do tip but reluctantly as I don't agree with it. Also hairdressers thats another one! The meal or new hair style should be as expected as that is what you are paying for. I taught for many years - did I expect to receive a tip at the end of the year beacause I taught someone and they got through their exam? No - it was my job and had certain expectations of me which was my duty to deliver!

In my opinion tips should be banned!  :o :o

Do I leave tips if i'm unhappy? NO - just ask the hairdresser last week who tried to make me look like my Mum!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 17:16:27 PM by Eleanor »
Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 17:49:21 PM »
Do NOT get me started on hairdressers!!  That subject's for the Members Chat I think!  I do think that in general, I am more happy to tip in PP than I am in the UK. Especially out of season when I find they really do put themselves out.  Now, in high season, it can be hit or miss as to the service, and we have been known to just leave the price of the meal and walk away, although at I dont think I have ever thought I would not return to a place yet - except the Chinese!  >:(

My Flickr Photos

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 17:54:49 PM »
I have actually been with my hubby when he has deleted the service charge from a bill! that was a little embarrassing but he was actually in the right! I have never left a place so quickly feeling daggers in my back!  ;D lol This was a place in Alcudia but was a few years ago so probably not fair to mention the name now.

Also last year Trio's lost some of their tip for putting chicken in their vegetable soup! Not good for a veggie!

Eleanor

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 17:59:48 PM »
That IS wrong! Steve loves Los Serenas at Port D'Alcudia, and they always remember us even if we havent been there for two or three years! We do not go to PDA often enough really, although there are some great places to eat, from pizza places to local gastronomic delights.  :)

My Flickr Photos

favie

• There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 14:34:05 PM »
Another good read from BL....Thanks, you certainly have a talent!! ;)

Now tipping, it's like brushing your teeth, you have to do it!! Oh! but I so detest it at times, the tipping that is!!

If service charge is included then now I don't leave a tip but where it isn't, even after a disappointing meal, I am still inclined too BUT not anymore.....I am going to stop that from now on!! ::)

Now Bella,  Hairdressers!!!!!! Nightmare, one day I WILL walk out without tipping!!

PS Eleanor I so admire your Hubby...deleted the service charge!! Good one. ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 14:36:24 PM by favie »

Bonyslad

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 10:21:21 AM »
Another good read from BL....Thanks, you certainly have a talent!! ;)

Thanks Favie

Must say I feel really guilty over it and why should I ?

I don't feel so bad in Europe /Americas where incomes of tipper /tippee are relatively equal but just back from Sri Lanka where you know your income is like a FTSE CEO compared to the rest of us mere mortals. Here it was tip to go to the toilet , tip for someone to fetch you a sun bed , tip if they opened a car door etc etc.

Obviously not born to rule , eh ??

BL  ;D ;D
BonysLad

HEY. YOU. Get off of my cloud ( of wonderful ) !!

Eleanor

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »
I'm afraid it would drive me mad BL!  ::) What would they do if you didn't tip I wonder!  :o

We live in a different world now and I just wish tipping would move on too!  >:(  I just hate it! I think most peopel fel uncomfortable especially in a Country where perhaps the rules are not quite so obvious.

I say 'ban the tip!'!  :o
Eleanor

Belladonna

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »
The only other way to feel a bit better I suppose, would be to complain about absolutely everything to get it perfect, then you wouldnt mind so much perhaps.  But thats just not in our nature either is it!! ::)

My Flickr Photos